Our Preliminary Task - Darn!

Our Opening Sequence - dawn

Apr 1, 2010

The End!

This blog is now closed.

Mar 26, 2010

Evaluation Question 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

In conclusion. I feel as though this project has been the most educational for me, and definitely the most interesting because of my enjoyment in watching and making films. Since our preliminary task, I feel as though my understanding of films and how and why the work has improved. I have tried to apply this new knowledge to each of the four stages in the project:

As well as all of this, I think I have especially learnt how to work as part of a team. Not only have I developed my ability to work with other people in meeting and discussing to distribute the work fairly but I have also been able to do individual tasks before sharing them with the group.

Evaluation Question 6 - What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

The technology we used to construct our opening sequence can be broken down into two sections: hardware & software.


For our shoot, we took a lot more than a camera, we used a:
  • Canon Mini HD Camcorder – to film with
  • Batteries – to power the camcorder
  • Tape – to record our footage onto
  • Tripod – to take most of the steady and high-angle shots
  • Paglight – to illuminate any shots if necessary
  • Shotgun microphone – to record dialogue and some sounds
  • Headphones – to hear if the sound was good quality

    Because we were using a digital camcorder, we had several options that we could change, e.g. shutter speed, white balance, etc. but when it came to our filming, there were only three that we really used:
    1. Auto-focus, which I used when filming the opening cutaway of the flowers in focus before the vase suddenly became to focal point.
    2. Manual-focus, we used this for several shots in our sequence when we wanted a shot to be blurry such as the shot of the back of the head at the beginning.
    3. Aperture, for most of our sequence, we kept our aperture setting low so that only a small amount of detail was in focus; so that they had a short depth of field.
    This project has taught me several techniques that I was unable to do before; I can now operate a paglight to illuminate a shot to create the desired effect, I can change the settings on a camcorder to create artistic effects and I record sound and dialogue with confidence.


    During post-production, we used the non linear editing software - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 on two PCs:

    Using my prior knowledge of the software, I was able to capture our shots, put them onto our timeline, order them and crop them down. However, for this project, I had to learn several new techniques in this software:
    • How to create and customise titles – I created the Reverse Pictures logo in Premiere Pro by: linking two titles of ‘everse Pictures’ and a reflected ‘R’, adding a mirror effect to them and changing the opacity on them individually to make them fade out separately.
    • How to customise effects – for example, for the dissolve shot of Dawn rocking, we had to slow one of the recorded shots down, make it overlap the other shot and change opacity to create a smooth dissolve.
    • How to be selective with sound – most of the shots in our sequence were muted so when they cut to shots with that had sound, the static was obvious, as a result, we had to fade the sound in and out on every shot.
    If I had to pass on advice to anybody undertaking this project, I would give them the following three tips:
    1. When planning, consider how each shot has to be taken and if it’s possible to accomplish it. In our sequence, at 0:37, the shot was meant to be wider but we couldn’t because it was being filmed right next to the wall.
    2. Don’t be afraid to experiment if you have enough tape. The shot of our flowers was improvised; we did not storyboard it because we didn’t think of filming it in that was during the planning stage.
    3. When filming a shot, film as much of that as possible. In editing, it is a lot easier to work with shots that our too long as opposed to shots that don’t have enough footage to cut to. It will also give you more options for the final product.

    Evaluation Question 5 - How did you attract / address your audience?

    When making our sequence, we tried to address and appeal to our audience in a variety of different ways, some of which were that:
    • The narrative of our sequence can have the use / gratification of making the viewer ask themselves what they would in the same situation. The fact that the protagonist is in the same group as our core audience really helps with this.
    • The way that our film goes against conventions makes it entertaining to guess how the film’s narrative is resolved, or even if Dawn gets away with it.
    • The realism of our film could help the viewer suspend their disbelief and enter the world of the film with relative ease, especially since the film is set in a location which many members of our audience may be familiar with.
    In addition to all this, we held a screening to members of our target audience and got them to fill in a questionnaire like the following:

    After we read through the comments, we found out that the three things that they liked most about our sequence were:
    1. Two people said that they liked the slower, less conventional pace.
    2. Eight people said that they liked the music and sound effects.
    3. Eleven people said that they liked the cutaways and other art-house style shots at the beginning of the sequence.